On 2011-11-09 10:11 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Hi Shane;

OpenOffice.org is a brand the ASF owns now and I
don't want it diluted. I have also heard the name
is in some countries' legislation.

I'm not following your point here. The project branding requirements mean that both the product and project names must start with "Apache ...", so just "OpenOffice.org" is not an option as either name.

The existing trademark registration is not an issue (or, should not be, in my opinion) in terms of choosing a name for the project going forward. I suggest that the PPMC needs to primarily think of what the future branding will be.

In terms of "keeping" the existing registration, I would not worry about that now. My current thinking is that our keeping the domain name as a site that still distributes the past OpenOffice.org builds will be more than sufficient to defend that brand as long as will be pertinent for this project.

- Shane

I think Apache OpenOffice is a better name for
the project because it is shorter/simpler, and is
more catchy. TBH I wouldn't complain if it's the
name of the product too.

I am aware of projects that have subprojects that
later fork, maybe we will end up having, say
Apache OO Spellchecker :-).

cheers,

Pedro.