On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Gianluca Turconi
<gianl...@letturefantastiche.com> wrote:
> This message, as Andre Fischer suggested in the thread "GPL'd
> dictionaries", is a separated discussion in order to find a final
> consensus about how to provide Linguistic Tools replacements after the
> removal of GPL'd modules.
>
> The solutions that were suggested (though without volunteers' manpower
> to implement them ;-) are:
>
> a) download the extension (assuming that the right locale can be
> detected) automatically from the extension repository during
> installation;
>
> b) as last step of the installation, pop up a web page that, among
> other things, tells the user that there is a dictionary extension that
> can be installed and what its license is;
>
> c) let the user know that there is one (or multiple) linguistic tools
> pack extension for his/her native language when the main AOO binary is
> downloaded.
>
> d) to consider the distribution and inclusion of GPL'd Linguistic Tools
> as 'mere aggregation" according to GPL.

Some of these options are not exclusive, right?  For example we could
do b) and c).

> Point d) needs legal endorsement from Apache, of course.

That is worth a try.  Someone would need to enter a JIRA issue for this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL

If we do that, we'll have an answer within a week or two.

> IMO, in a transition phase, point c) is the easiest one.

I wonder what percentage of users will notice this information when
the initially download?   Even if 90% see the note and download the
dictionaries at the same time, that still leaves many thousands of
users who will miss it.  So, if we can't bundle, then maybe we want
multiple layers of reminders.  Remind before download.  Remind after
download.