On Dec 11, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Andrea Pescetti
> <pesce...@openoffice.org> wrote:

>>> I wonder if ooo-general-it.i.a.o might be possible, instead of
>>> ooo-project-it.i.a.o?
>>

>> It would be possible but suboptimal, as "general" is not "general" for us,
>> since most people will want to subscribe to "users" and the "project" list
>> would be "specific" (i.e., for volunteers) and not "general". This is why I

>> Then we could revise the names at graduation time; it might well be that the
>> Japanese list is renamed too.
>>

> Tt is a convention at Apache for the main list of a project to be a
> "dev" list and for it to cover more than just coding.  But we could
> decide to make a different convention if we think it would be less
> confusing to our community.
>
> To me "general" means a general project list, not specifically dev, or
> qa or marketing, but all of these functions.
>
> I don't have a strong preference for one naming scheme over another,
> but it would be good to be consistent.  If we go with "project" then
> maybe we rename ooo-dev to proj...@openoffice.apache.org at
> graduation?

The consistency is as follows:

(1) MLs have this form: ooo-*@incubator.a.o

(2) NL MLs have the form: ooo-*-<nl-code>@i.a.o

(3) Apache convention is about the main list being ooo-dev@a.i.o. I've seen
nothing to suggest it has to apply to every NL.

(4) ML names have to be valid for Apache Infra and not profane or otherwise
problematic.

I think we have to follow each NL's understanding of their own language.

So, totally +1 to Andrea's plan.

Regards,
Dave