On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> I say do the pair.  I see no reason not to trust your experience and
> judgment.  That goes the same for any other NL group active enough to want an
> NL list on the podling and having active PPMC members to support them.

We created a Japanese list a while ago, based on a similar degree of
enthusiasm.  It has not received a single post yet.

http://pulse.apache.org/#ooo-general-ja_at_incubator.apache.org

This too is part of our experience and should influence our judgment.
I'd be happier creating new language lists if we knew why that other
list did not work out, and had a plan for ensuring that future
attempts were successful.

Maybe things are simpler with a user list?  I see that the legacy
"utenti" list still gets a lot of traffic and has a lot of
subscribers.  The dev list, not so much.

One way to factor this might be to permit language-specific user
lists, just as we do for forums.  But we encourage a single ooo-dev
list for everyone, in order to avoid fragmenting the discussions and
the community. Make we could make better use of subject tags to
distinguish localization threads?

Then, if at some point we have so much localization-related traffic,
then we might create a cross-language ooo-i10n list.  We could create
that based on demonstrated need.  That could work well, since in the
initial release or two we're going to have many common questions about
Pootle configuration, general Apache process, etc.

If then at some point specific languages generate such a heavy amount
of traffic that it is impossible to work on ooo-i10n, then and only
then should we consider language-specific localization lists.

I'd also note that if we bring in a bunch of new project contributors,
who have not been involved at Apache before, it will be critical that
they start off on the ooo-dev list, to see how we work, how we make
decisions, etc.   It would be disastrous to have part of the project
being actively mentored and working together while other 'pockets' of
contributors work in self-imposed isolation.

-Rob