Hi all,

During the work on replacing lp_solve with CoinMP (almost done) I stumbled upon the question of where to build the CoinMP libraries.

Following the current pattern I would add a coinmp directory into main/
The downside of this is that the main/ directory becomes cluttered with modules that basically consist only of a single makefile and maybe some patch files.

I would like to propose a different solution: add a new ext_libraries/ directory at the same level of main/ and ext_sources/. By reusing some of the old source_config functionality (in the form of the SourceConfig.pm in solver/bin/modules) the new modules in ext_libraries/ (coinmp in my example) can be transparently integrated into the build process.

My plan is to add the ext_sources/ directory and integrate it into our build system and then to add modules for coinmp and, when the need arises, for other new external libraries. Existing modules in main/, like moz or cairo, can be moved later.

Any comments, objections, questions for more information?

Regards,
Andre