On 12.01.2012 14:19, Rob Weir wrote:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Andre Fischer<a...@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
Hi all,

During the work on replacing lp_solve with CoinMP (almost done) I stumbled
upon the question of where to build the CoinMP libraries.

Following the current pattern I would add a coinmp directory into main/
The downside of this is that the main/ directory becomes cluttered with
modules that basically consist only of a single makefile and maybe some
patch files.

I would like to propose a different solution: add a new ext_libraries/
directory at the same level of main/ and ext_sources/.  By reusing some of
the old source_config functionality (in the form of the SourceConfig.pm in
solver/bin/modules) the new modules in ext_libraries/ (coinmp in my example)
can be transparently integrated into the build process.

My plan is to add the ext_sources/ directory and integrate it into our build
system and then to add modules for coinmp and, when the need arises, for
other new external libraries.  Existing modules in main/, like moz or cairo,
can be moved later.

Any comments, objections, questions for more information?

What is the difference then between ext_sources and ext_libraries?
How do you decide which goes where?

ext_sources contains (and will contain) the source code archives.

ext_libraries will contain our makefiles and patches that unpack the archives from ext_sources, configure, build, and finally deliver them. Basically out wrapper and glue code that turns external source code into external libraries.

Regards,
Andre