On 13.01.2012 21:27, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Hello fellow indians; ;)

I think there is consensus that this is (at least)
a gray area so I have the following proposal, which
shouldn't get in the way of having this properly
solved by legal but which I think should solve at
least temporarily the issues that we have. It's
actually very simple but who knows, maybe it's even
acceptable as a general incubator policy at the ASF.

The ext_source in shall be divided, according to
the categories of the licenses, into two
directories in SVN, namely:

ext_source_A
ext_source_B

main/ooo.lst already offers a poor-mans version of this. It has to sections headed with comments

# Libraries with category A license

and

# Libraries with category B license

which reference the tar balls in ext_sources/ that have, surprise, category A or category B license.

- Ext_source_B shall have a prominent text note that warns
users that the code there is made available only for
builder convenience but that the code is in general
not acceptable for inclusion in Apache source code
releases.

- It is understood that ext_source_B is a quarantine
area. The idea is that the code we have there will
only shrink with time. The code there can be updated
for security reasons but in general no new code should
be brought in without specific consensus (voting, checking
with the PPMC, etc, but not lazy consensus).

This, I think, is an important point. Discourage people from adding more cat-B tar-balls, and encourage developers to replace the existing ones with category-A libraries.

We can start a Wiki page for the replacement tasks. I think some time back you mentioned a possible replacement of rhino with V8.

-Andre

NOTE: Consensus for replacing standard OOo 3.4
functionality like the CoinMP solver code is a given
(particularly as the licensing is being worked on) but
we don't want this to be a loophole to bring in MPL'd
code into AOO.

Of course we still have to comply with the standard
Apache policies concerning Category-B : "Code that is
more substantial, more volatile, or not directly consumed
at runtime in source form may only be distributed in
binary form." but at least now it should be pretty clear
and easy for everyone downloading the code from SVN where
they can expect licensing issues.

Pedro.