On Jan 16, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> No, but that was a doubt I had: in the process of granting new privileges,
>>> it might be that someone notices that a lot of people already have high
>>> privileges, and that this group includes people currently unaffiliated with
>>> the project. I was just making sure that current privileges are not dropped
>>> now: this will still be an issue, but it can be dealt with separately.
>>
>> We need to have a common set of privileges for ALL committers. We should not
>> have to request it, it should be done.
>>

> That is a curious statement, considering that:

For the BZ to be useful to the community it must be possible for any
contributor to have sufficient privileges to engage in the process.

In the project's that I work on like Apache POI everyone has BZ rights to
create issues and change status. AFAIK it is very open and very helpful and
actually leads to valuable conversations with users. Even if some are similar
to a no its not a bug yes it is. No matter.

You are allowed basic rights to open, comment, update and close JIRA issues at
Apache. Admin rights are special.

BTW - an open BZ provides another path for contributors to get attention and
possibly become committers.

> - committers are not automatically subscribed to ooo-private.

So far, every committer is given the opportunity to do so. And it is
exceedingly easy.

> - committers are not automatically list moderators.  They need to request it.
>
> - committers are not automatically blog editors.  They need to request it.
>
> - committers are not automatically wiki editors or admins.  They need
> to request it.

How much use has the project made of OOODEV cwiki vs. OOOUSERS cwiki? One is by
request and the other is open to anyone.

IMO we should ask Infrastructure to drop OOODEV.

> - committers are not automatically forum editors or admins.  They need
> to request it.
>
> So far as I can tell, the only thing that happens automatically for
> committers is SVN access. And even that is not really automatic.

I watch the Infrastructure ML. It is part of the workflow when the PPMC
requests the committer's id. An incubator committer is a more difficult setup
than a TLP committer, there is an extra step for Apache CMS permission.

> Given the above, I had no expectations that Bugzilla access for
> committers would happen without request.  Do you have a reason to be
> optimistic in this case?

We have our own, separate BZ that is NOT part of the normal Apache BZ. Perhaps
it was missed back in July, but we are responsible. That's the cost for keeping
the old issue ids.

> And are you suggesting we wait for this to happen?

Given that we are accountable for this BZ we as the PPMC are responsible for
its state.

>  Or would it make
> more sense to get a few volunteers, per my original note, and go
> forward with that for now?

Yes, I agree that we need to get some volunteers. We should define what we want
our BZ admins to do.

I would like to know the current mysterious closed policy and workflow in this
custom BZ. It really bothers me that we have no clue who has authority and who
doesn't. We are responsible.

I would like to discuss what the policy should become.  IMO - Open up normal,
non-admin permissions to all of the project's committers. Also, open normal
permissions up to the community as a whole. If someone abuses their privileges
then remove them. The BZ admin will need to deal with Spammers.

Regards,
Dave