On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michael...@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 07:07:03PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> That "mutual respect" argument can take you in strange places.  For
>> example, if a LibreOffice contributor modifies a file that was
>> originally authored by someone who is now an Apache OpenOffice
>> contributor, then shouldn't they put that file under ALv2, in order to
>> "respect the wishes of contributors caring about the license"?
>
> You mean like for example Oracle changing its mind and not only relicensing
> their own contributions, but also past contributions of others without even
> consulting these authors should force everyone to follow suit(*)? No,

I certainly acknowledge that there are some contributors to OOo who
were not happy that Oracle contributed the code to Apache under ALv2.
But it is also clear that there are some contributors to the legacy
OOo who were happy to see this change, and who have joined the Apache
OpenOffice project and signed the ICLA and contribute.  And there are
some legacy contributors who are members both of TDF and AOO.  I
assume their views on licensing are more flexible than yours.  And I
imagine that there are some that think it was a bad thing to accept
MPL for LibreOffice at all.

So back to my question, which you did not answer.   If a LibreOffice
contributor modifies a file that was originally authored by someone
who is now an Apache OpenOffice contributor (i.e., someone who has
signed the ICLA and joined the AOO project), then shouldn't the LO
contributor put their modifications under ALv2 as well, in order to
"respect the wishes of contributors caring about the license"?  It
seems this would be the right thing to do, given your arguments above.

-Rob