On 30 January 2012 23:19, TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> The ASF has a policy of *not* removing mails in the majority of cases.
>> It simply is not possible to do so since our mailing lists are
>> archived all over the place. See
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>>
> Most organizations, like most individuals, have a few suboptimal policies
> (calling them "damn-fool" would be rude, so I won't). The ASF is no
> exception, and this policy is one of them.

That may or may not be true. The policy is set by infra who are
responsible for the management of all the mailing lists at the ASF. So
if the policy is suboptimal it's infra that needs to be addressed.

In this specific case I did not understand that the lists in question
were not ASF managed lists, but were legacy lists. The fact that this
PPMC has control over those lists, of course, means that the PPMC is
able to take action under whatever policy it chooses to apply.

Thank you for resolving the issue.

> Interestingly enough, despite my rant, my action (I have deleted the post)
> seems to fall within policy!

Indeed. The only lesson here then, is that as the old lists are turned
off the infra policy linked will apply. The only way to change that is
for members of the PPMC to become infra volunteers. This policy
disintermediates one step further than the send it to
ooo-private/ooo-dev.

Ross