Hi,

I would like to give a short update on the progress I have made so far.

- I was able to setup a local Pootle server for my testing purposes. So far so good ;-)
- I created a new SDF file based on the current available resources
- Based on this en-US.sdf file I was able to create a new set of POT files
- I created another SDF file containing the current "en-US" strings + the available "de" and "es" strings. Means the already available localizations in our repository (as a well defined start). - Based on this I have created new sets of PO files for "de" and "es" and have updated my local Pootle server with these languages

The good thing is that I was able to verify the changes I have made for the the About are reflected in the po files and need attention.

Some data:

German - 4457 words need attention - 81530
Spanish - 4028 words need attention - 81530

A little bit surprising is the reduced number of words, well we have removed dialogs but compared to the available data on the Apache Pootle server (89396) I think we have to check this carefully.

But I have noticed that 6 template files have problems and couldn't be read. I haven't figured out the problem yet and I am working on this.

Further steps:

- analyze the template reading error -> any kind of tip is appreciated!!!
- I will change some German Strings and will extract the data from pootle -> sdf and will prepare a new Germany version base don the changes to see if the roundtrip works.

When I am sure that the round trip works I would propose the following:

- create new templates based on the latest new created sdf files
- prepare new po files for all languages based on the data we have currently in the repository and which is used for the build at the moment.
- update the Pootle server with the new set of po/pot files

- provide the files for offline usage to translators
- translators can check if their local (if available) backups are newer than the provided data and can merge/update the data accordingly
- finished translations are merged back into the repository

Future improvements:

will coming later but I think we have a lot room for improvements here ;-)

Any opinions, questions, feedback or comments? I am really looking forward to improve the whole translation process with you together.

Juergen

PS: who has some more grey hairs now ;-)