On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Risto Jääskeläinen
> <rjaas...@saunalahti.fi> wrote:
>> I just wonder if all OpenOffice users are not Englishmen ... how this is
>> handled?
>

> Good question.  OOo 3.3 sends a request with a URL like this:
>
> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/urn:st:e7251802-3c52-4e08-a74f-a22eca7458ff?product=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid=926117
>
> So it does have a "locale" parameter.   My guess is the legacy
> registration server used that info to provide a localized registration
> form.
>
> Currently we don't have an equivalent page in other languages.   We
> could clean up that page and get it translated into the various
> languages.  But I don't know enough about Apache server rewrites to
> know if it is possible to redirect based on a URL parameter.  Maybe
> one of our gurus can tell us it is possible to redirect:
>
> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/urn:st:e7251802-3c52-4e08-a74f-a22eca7458ff?product=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid=926117

> http://registration2.services.openoffice.org/confirm_en.html
>
> or even:
>
> http://en.openoffice.org/confirm.html
>

> In other words, can we pick out a URL parameter and use that elsewhere
> in the rewrite?

It ought to be possible to do a rewrite to go to say:

www.openoffice.org/contributing.html (if en)
www.openoffice.org/fr/contributing.html (if fr)

We can then put contributing pages in English into each NL site. A first task
for NL volunteers can be to translate these to their own language.

Regards,
Dave