On Mar 20, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Good question.  OOo 3.3 sends a request with a URL like this:
>>>
>>> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/urn:st:e7251802-3c52-4e08-a74f-a22eca7458ff?product=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid=926117
>>>
>>> So it does have a "locale" parameter.   My guess is the legacy
>>> registration server used that info to provide a localized registration
>>> form.
>>>
>>> Currently we don't have an equivalent page in other languages.   We
>>> could clean up that page and get it translated into the various
>>> languages.  But I don't know enough about Apache server rewrites to
>>> know if it is possible to redirect based on a URL parameter.  Maybe
>>> one of our gurus can tell us it is possible to redirect:
>>>
>>> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/urn:st:e7251802-3c52-4e08-a74f-a22eca7458ff?product=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid=926117

>>> http://registration2.services.openoffice.org/confirm_en.html
>>>
>>> or even:
>>>
>>> http://en.openoffice.org/confirm.html
>>>

>>> In other words, can we pick out a URL parameter and use that elsewhere
>>> in the rewrite?
>>
>> It ought to be possible to do a rewrite to go to say:
>>
>> www.openoffice.org/contributing.html (if en)
>> www.openoffice.org/fr/contributing.html (if fr)
>>
>> We can then put contributing pages in English into each NL site. A first
>> task for NL volunteers can be to translate these to their own language.
>>

> Maybe done via Subversion symbolic links, so we can keep the English
> version updated, at least until the point an NL group takes it over.

Or perhaps externals, I think that would be a folder.

We could have an apache, policy, or user directory - content/user/.

With files like:

registration.mdtext
contributing.mdtext
policy.mdtext

The directory could be external in say French - content/fr/user/.

The files registration.mdtext etc in that directory become like "branches", can
be translated and it would be possible to flag these changes for each NL team.

I'll look for someone with svn superpowers like Joe to tell us if this is a
good idea or crazy.

Regards,
Dave