On 12/04/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Dave Fisher  wrote:
es, de, nl, fi, pt-br, ru, and ja are now setup for committers to
make translations to brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext. ...
Dave, I speak English and I have no idea what you are talking about
here.

The information provided by Dave is still very useful. I was able to edit the links in the Italian website thanks to his instructions, and having all files already in place for the other localizations will save a significant part of the localization work. That said, I agree we should aim at streamlining this further.

Would something like this work instead:
1) Have an ODF text document (or spreadhseet) that has a table
listing the strings in the standard webpage template, English in one
column, translations to go in another column.  Poor man's Pootle.

It could work, but it seems a bit rigid. For example, the Italian website has different main links: we don't link to the Native Languages since we already link to the English website; we prefer to link to both Extensions and Templates instead of the Extensions intermediate page; when a resource is available in Italian, we link to the Italian version.

All you need is actually a list of links and texts to display for them. And this can even be provided by e-mail or the wiki for those who are scared of BugZilla.

Regards,
  Andrea.