Short answer: At Apache, release candidates are not releases and don't appear
anywhere that releases do.  With respect to the outside world, they are
unofficial, intermediate work.

 - Dennis

This is my understanding:

The RC artifacts are made available the same way as developer snapshots and
previews. (If you look at the links, you'll see that the RC1 artifacts are on
the release manager's Apache account.)

The difference is that a release candidate is packaged in the form of artifacts
on which release votes happen.  When a release vote is held and passes, those
are the artifacts that will then be put up as a release, populated on mirrors,
etc.

Since these candidates are not releases, it is inappropriate to notify the user
base, make an ASF announcement, etc.  They should not be provided at the
download page either.

In some sense, there is a feature and code freeze in effect for the release,
except for any necessary repairs that require a new candidate to be produced.
The need for repair can come about as part of the in-Apache review of the
candidate and independently as the result of a release-blocking defect reported
by anyone.

Because of that level of stability, this is a time when investment of any
volunteer testing, trial use, etc., is valuable in both how the candidate
deploys and how it is usable.  It's not a moving target and additional
explorations are well-spent, especially for any show-stopper that is uncovered.

 - Dennis