Short answer: At Apache, release candidates are not releases and
don't appear anywhere that releases do.  With respect to the outside
world, they are unofficial, intermediate work.

- Dennis

This is my understanding:

The RC artifacts are made available the same way as developer
snapshots and previews. (If you look at the links, you'll see that
the RC1 artifacts are on the release manager's Apache account.)

The difference is that a release candidate is packaged in the form of
artifacts on which release votes happen.  When a release vote is held
and passes, those are the artifacts that will then be put up as a
release, populated on mirrors, etc.

Since these candidates are not releases, it is inappropriate to
notify the user base, make an ASF announcement, etc.  They should not
be provided at the download page either.

Dennis and others--

Yes, trying to track down some other things, it is VERY clear that pre-releases, like these, should ONLY be announced on the "dev" list.

http://www.apache.org/dev/release

LOTS of info in this, and, much of it, well, different than what some of use are used to.

In some sense, there is a feature and code freeze in effect for the
release, except for any necessary repairs that require a new
candidate to be produced.  The need for repair can come about as part
of the in-Apache review of the candidate and independently as the
result of a release-blocking defect reported by anyone.

Because of that level of stability, this is a time when investment of
any volunteer testing, trial use, etc., is valuable in both how the
candidate deploys and how it is usable.  It's not a moving target and
additional explorations are well-spent, especially for any
show-stopper that is uncovered.

- Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: drew [mailto:d...@baseanswers.com]
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3c1334611284.19386.7.camel@sybil-gnome%3e>

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 14:21
To: dennis.hamil...@acm.org Cc: OOo-dev Apache Incubator; 'Louis
Suárez-Potts' Subject: Re: Expanding Review and Contributions as AOO
3.4 Approaches

Howdy,

I have a few basic questions - sorry if this has been covered and I
missed it.

How extensive an announcement are we looking for with this?

The files are not on the mirror system at this moment, right, so
it's premature to blast out to the full user base, correct?

Will the RC files go to the mirrors, BTW, and I suppose in the same
question - will the download pages on the main ooo site be used for
RC as in the past? If so then that is the point at which we want to
promote the RC more broadly, so I would think.

Thanks,

//drew