On Sunday, 22. April 2012 at 08:42, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> @Kay,
>
> I have no idea.
>
> I trust that someone else can indicate how this works.
>
> Having successfully built from source seems to be a key requirement, and one
> would hope that at least three people confirm that. Of course, there is
> support for some many platforms and user configurations that I don't know
> what can be said for coverage at this level.
>
> On the general incubator list, there has been discussions around the fact
> that the essential release is the source code and that it be buildable as
> well as satisfying other conditions regarding dependencies, IP, signatures,
> documentation, notices, etc. Many view the binaries as conveniences.
>
> For us, the binaries have been essential components and are a goal of this
> consumer-facing project. But that is a quality issue, not so much a release
> issue, perhaps. On the other hand, the binaries are artifacts of the release,
> and so conditions on those artifacts apply as well, it seems to me.
>
> Here's the key FAQ on releases that I am aware of:
> <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>.
>
> This is one of the key items:
> <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release>.
>
> That is about top-level-project PMC releases (the IPMC is the top-level for
> us). Elsewhere, it is pointed out that the conditions for incubator releases
> are in addition to those:
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.htm>.
>
> There is a great deal of material in that incubator release management guide,
> although it is all in draft. Although there are many placeholders, I think it
> provides a good picture of the essentials.
>
> - Dennis

we all agree that we have to fulfill some basic and general Apache rules and
requirements for a release. I would say we have done our best to address all
this things.
Many things are written down and many not and AOO brings of course some new
things to Apache that probably have influence on many areas including the
release process.
I would like to propose that we listen to questions from the IPMC and answer
this question as best as we can or rework things if necessary.
As mentioned before we have done our best to achieve the Apache requirements as
well as our own requirements related to the product itself. Means features,
quality, stability etc.
Don't let us speculate, just wait and answer concrete questions.
And the source code can be build but requires some more work as a small Java
library. A building guide is available and can be found on the wiki page.

Juergen