On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:59, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for this! Here are my first reactions...
>>
>> I find the gray background a bit gloomy. The name of the book "Getting
>> Started" is too small and almost gets lost against the gray
>> background.
>>
>> Also, this is one of a series of books; the others have names like
>> Apache OpenOffice Writer Guide, Apache OpenOffice Calc Guide, etc, so
>> this one should be Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide (Sorry, my
>> earlier note was misleading about the name.)
>>

> That naming convention *might* be a problem.  As I understand it,
> "Getting Started Guide for Apache OpenOffice" is OK, but "The Apache
> OpenOffice Getting Started Guide" would not be.  They latter name
> suggests it is part of Apache OpenOffice.
>
> Compare:  "The Microsoft Office Getting Started Guide for Excel"
> versus "Getting Started with Microsoft Excel"
>
> Generally, avoid using "Apache OpenOffice" as an adjective /modifier
> unless talking about actual Apache release, e..g, Apache OpenOffice
> Calc, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

OK, no problem with name change, which will also certainly help
differentiate these books from any official books, if/when there are
any. I will point out that "The" was never part of the title of any of
the books, but rather something that many (most?) people mentally
add... and so, yes, I can see that could be problematic.

Now to pick a good naming convention for the other books in the series.

Does "Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer [Calc, Impress, etc]" work?
I'm tempted to call it "Unofficial Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer"
just to be sure no one gets the wrong idea. Ah, if only "Missing
Manual" were not already trademarked!

--Jean