On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 4 May 2012 09:52, Yong Lin Ma <mayo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> I raised earlier off list the idea of (re-)forming a language group focused
>>> on ZH localization and operating to support Chinese speakers and those
>>> based in Beijing (or wherever it makes sense).  We did this in OOo, and it
>>> worked …not as well as any of us would have liked. But that was because a
>>> single company dominated--a less than desirable situation.
>>>

>> Yes, other than covered by different license, not dominated by a
>> single company is the major difference between AOO and OO.o.
>>

>>> The idea, this time around, would be to have members of CS2C, IBM and other
>>> organizations (and I can think of a few) to have a place to coordinate,
>>> learn, communicate in Chinese while also working with the Apache OO lists
>>> in English. Localization would be essential. (ZH in China differs from that
>>> used in TW; that can be accommodated: this is a linguistic effort, mostly.)
>>
>> It would be not necessary, if this is just for IBM and CS2C teams in
>> Beijing. Cause it would be more effective for the two teams to have
>> conference calls or meet in person.
>
> <snip>
>
> I don't exactly disagree with you but I was unclear. I did not mean to
> usurp the Apache Way or the merits of being a commiter nor the path by
> which one becomes one. Rather, I wanted to avoid the problem facing
> the establishment of regional and linguistic groups. That problem is
> having one or even two companies dominate the effort. Sometimes that's
> unavoidable. But if it can be the case that other companies and
> organizations can be involved, then great. And if such involvement is
> made more likely by having publicly accessible informational projects,
> which are open to all comers and which *do not* usurp the Apache Way
> but rather supplement it, then, as far as I can tell, that's good.
> (Indeed, having conference calls between one company and another seems
> to reinscribe the problem of having one company dominate, and it
> further turns a linguistic effort into a very localized one that's
> also exclusive.)

Louis,
Thank you for the clarification. When I say conference  call here, I
mean call between contributors instead of companies. And it is only
for speeding up communication and not for making important decisions in private.

And I don't worry about an Apache project may get dominated by single
company, due to the diversity requirement on PPMC members.
I am  new to ASF. Maybe someone know examples that Apache project got
dominated and failed.