On May 10, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Juan C. Sanz wrote:

> El 10/05/2012 20:36, Dave Fisher escribió:

>>> My copy of Notepad++ (v5.9) has the following Encoding Menu options:
>>>
>>> Encode in ANSI
>>> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM
>>> Encode in UTF-8
>>> Convert to ANSI
>>> Convert to UTF-8 without BOM
>>> Convert to UTF-8
>> Thanks! I've added a note to
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
> In the note you say "If you use Notepad on WIndows you have several options
> for saving or converting to UTF. Choose the "UTF-8 without BOM" option" but
> this is not an option in notepad (at least in mine) but in Notepad++ which is
> not the windows one.

Oops, I misread. Let's think about this a bit Notepad is dangerous, but
inevitable.

There is a perl routine: read_text_file in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/build/lib/ASF/Util.pm

# utility for parsing txt files with headers in them

# and passing the args along to a hashref (in 2nd arg)

sub read_text_file {

If that can be taught to handle the BOM then we won't care.

(I'm removing my note.)

Regards,
Dave