Hi Jürgen, Dave, *

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:56:25PM +0200, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9. May 2012 at 19:40, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We know AOO website is not set up to be (easily?) localized, but we've
> > been doing our best with the guys on the Spanish mailing list to update
> > the Spanish NL site, mainly translating /adapting the main English site.
> >
> > I've been trying to translate the download page, you can find it at
> > http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/es/descargar/index.html
> > So far I see two (main) issues:
> >
> > * I had to make a copy of exceptions.css to adapt the cachedimages/*.png
> > URLs
> >
> > * we want the look & feel and the system detection, but not the
> > language detection: the user is on the Spanish site, the download must
> > be a Spanish package. I hacked this by adding a variable that is set
> > on the localized index.html via setLanguage("es"); then this variable
> > is used instead of navigator.language. I guess that instead of this,
> > the script code could detect if it is invoked from /download/index.html
> > or /$LANG/xxx/[.../]index..html
> > Is this solvable? Anyone with a better idea?
> > The page looks like:
> > http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/www-es-descargar.png
> > with this patch applied::
> > http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/localize-download-index-html.patch
> >

> > In a perfect situation, the site should be localizable with PO files,
> > and no need to hack stuff... but we are far from this situation.
> >

> but it is worth to think in this direction and focus future work to this as
> well.
> I like this and will support all efforts going in this direction.

It has been discussed on the list several times before the idea of
having a common set of pages in all NL sites, but the discussion didn't
have a conclusion. Now that AOO 3.4 is out, one can browse the NL sites,
and in several cases you get the feeling that you are in an abandoned
place; this will give our users a very bad idea of what's happening at
AOO.

Just some examples:

* http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/de/index.html last Neuigkeit:
  26.01.2011 OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 wurde veröffentlicht

* if you look for mailing lists on the French site, you end up in
  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/fr/contact-forums.html

* on the main site, there is some rather old content that now is
  outdated and/or looks ugly in the new site layout
  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/product/index.html the screen shot
  is from an older version

  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/why/index.html looks rather ugly;
  IIRC on the old site this page was displayed on a separated window,
  now it looks rather unprofessional

These examples show that there is a lot to update on the main site *and*
the NL sites; instead of multiplying the efforts, we should think of
a set-up where the web designers only have to design one site,
translators localize the site and volunteers update other localizable
content like screenshots.

Following the main site, I'd think of a common set of pages containing
the basic information that should be provided to our users (folder names
could be localizable, see the directory structure in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/es/ )

/$LANG/index.html
        div actionstatements - the actions list
        div news - some news

/$LANG/product/ - describing AOO applications

/$LANG/why/ - what is AOO and why should you use it

/$LANG/social/ - Social Networks

/$LANG/support/ - Mailing lists, forum, documentation

/$LANG/download/ - Downloads, Checksums

/$LANG/participate/ - How to participate in AOO

/$LANG/extensions/ - Extensions and templates information

/$LANG/news/ - News, Announcements, Releases Notes

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina