Hi Dave,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 09:38:42AM -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

> >> What about the navigation menu on the right at
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/nl/ ?
> >>
> >> Putting it on the left would be trivial.
> >
> > It's nice, but it's part of a table design. I was thinking about
> > a general approach, using the new tools we have. You can see the
> > example in the API site: http://www.openoffice.org/api/ where the
> > left navigator DIV is simply a MardDown text file: simple to
> > translate, no need to mess up with HTML, etc.
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/api/leftnav.mdtext?revision=1291111&view=markup
> >
> > The issue here is that lib/view.pm only accepts a leftnav.mdtext for
> > the main site, or one of the subfolders, like conent/api, but not
> > for more internal subfolders like content/es/producto/
>
> This is true for now, but we can always change what I did in view.pm
> and the templates structure.
>
> We can move ssi.mdtext from the templates tree to the content tree. In
> view.pm we can scan for ssi.mdtext from the current folder up to the
> root.
>
> This will allow the available rightnav.mdtext and leftnav.mdtext divs
> in the page design to be triggered at any level.

I tried to do it, with my almost null Perl skills:
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/0001-Add-left-navigativon-div-in-product-and-why.patch
I guess it's more clever to check first if there is a ssi.mdtext in the
current folder than searching recursively upper levels for every and
each file (my dummy solution).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile