On May 10, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:

> Hi Jürgen, Dave, *
>
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 09:56:25PM +0200, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 9. May 2012 at 19:40, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> We know AOO website is not set up to be (easily?) localized, but we've
>>> been doing our best with the guys on the Spanish mailing list to update
>>> the Spanish NL site, mainly translating /adapting the main English site.
>>>
>>> I've been trying to translate the download page, you can find it at
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/es/descargar/index.html
>>> So far I see two (main) issues:
>>>
>>> * I had to make a copy of exceptions.css to adapt the cachedimages/*.png
>>> URLs
>>>
>>> * we want the look & feel and the system detection, but not the
>>> language detection: the user is on the Spanish site, the download must
>>> be a Spanish package. I hacked this by adding a variable that is set
>>> on the localized index.html via setLanguage("es"); then this variable
>>> is used instead of navigator.language. I guess that instead of this,
>>> the script code could detect if it is invoked from /download/index.html
>>> or /$LANG/xxx/[.../]index..html
>>> Is this solvable? Anyone with a better idea?
>>> The page looks like:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/www-es-descargar.png
>>> with this patch applied::
>>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/localize-download-index-html.patch
>>>

>>> In a perfect situation, the site should be localizable with PO files,
>>> and no need to hack stuff... but we are far from this situation.
>>>

>> but it is worth to think in this direction and focus future work to this as
>> well.
>> I like this and will support all efforts going in this direction.
>
> It has been discussed on the list several times before the idea of
> having a common set of pages in all NL sites, but the discussion didn't
> have a conclusion. Now that AOO 3.4 is out, one can browse the NL sites,
> and in several cases you get the feeling that you are in an abandoned
> place; this will give our users a very bad idea of what's happening at
> AOO.
>
> Just some examples:
>
> * http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/de/index.html last Neuigkeit:
>  26.01.2011 OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 wurde veröffentlicht
>
> * if you look for mailing lists on the French site, you end up in
>  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/fr/contact-forums.html
>
> * on the main site, there is some rather old content that now is
>  outdated and/or looks ugly in the new site layout
>  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/product/index.html the screen shot
>  is from an older version
>
>  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/why/index.html looks rather ugly;
>  IIRC on the old site this page was displayed on a separated window,
>  now it looks rather unprofessional

It is seriously out of date. I think that the ENglish version needs to be
reworked by ooo-marketing. Personally I would go with simple mdtext. This part
has a long way to go.

> These examples show that there is a lot to update on the main site *and*
> the NL sites; instead of multiplying the efforts, we should think of
> a set-up where the web designers only have to design one site,
> translators localize the site and volunteers update other localizable
> content like screenshots.

Now that we have released we are actually seeing activity on the various pages.
That allows us to move forward.

> Following the main site, I'd think of a common set of pages containing
> the basic information that should be provided to our users (folder names
> could be localizable, see the directory structure in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/es/ )
>

> /$LANG/index.html
>        div actionstatements - the actions list
>        div news - some news

I've been think about this one as index.mdtext for the actions and a news feed.
Most of the current index.html is converted into a templates/index.html - logic
can use "$LANG" to override the GetLang JS.

> /$LANG/product/ - describing AOO applications

Suggest mdtext for each application. draw.mdtext, writer.mdtext, and then wrap
it up.

> /$LANG/why/ - what is AOO and why should you use it

Suggest mdtext for each category, government, education, ... re-use product ...

> /$LANG/social/ - Social Networks
>
> /$LANG/support/ - Mailing lists, forum, documentation
>
> /$LANG/download/ - Downloads, Checksums

Here we build from mdtext and a release.xml or similar.

> /$LANG/participate/ - How to participate in AOO
>
> /$LANG/extensions/ - Extensions and templates information
>
> /$LANG/news/ - News, Announcements, Releases Notes

The trick will be to go to the main mdtext when the $LANG mdtext is missing.

Something similar is done to select the ssi.mdtext in ooo-site/trunk/lib/view.pm

    # default navbars and mdtext from templates/ssi.mdtext.
    my $templates_folder = "templates";
    if (-d $templates_folder) {
        for my $f (grep -f, "$templates_folder/ssi.mdtext") {
           $f =~ m!/([^/]+)\.mdtext$! or die "Bad filename: $f\n";
           $args{$1} = {};
           read_text_file $f, $args{$1};
        }
    }
    # folder specific overrides
    $templates_folder = templatesfolder($args{path});
    $args{templates_folder} = $templates_folder;
    if (-d $templates_folder) {
        for my $f (grep -f, "$templates_folder/ssi.mdtext") {
           $f =~ m!/([^/]+)\.mdtext$! or die "Bad filename: $f\n";
           $args{$1} = {};
           read_text_file $f, $args{$1};
        }
    }

Let's separate the design and layout from the content. That's really why we use
markdown.

I'll try to do a simple design mockup very soon, meanwhile an area - why,
product - could be chosen and the component mdtext files written and
translated. Be cautious and don't have both calc.mdtext and calc.html in the
same directory.

Thanks for bringing this up and putting all these abandoned areas in focus!

Regards,
Dave