Hi Andrea, *,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 04:42:46PM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >It has been discussed on the list several times before the idea of
> >having a common set of pages in all NL sites, but the discussion didn't
> >have a conclusion. Now that AOO 3.4 is out, one can browse the NL sites
>
> I'd say it's OK to standardize when a certain NL section is not
> being maintained or is easier to redo it from scratch; but I would
> also give actively maintained NL sections the possibility to differ
> from the standard template, while maybe keeping some basic
> consistence (at least using NL/download/ for downloads).

In this case, for the Spanish site, I've created
http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/index.html which is almost like
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html In this example, the
standard template can be designed to make all pages alike while allowing
for customization (in the "Additional Information", for example), just
like it's currently done with topnav.mdtext (where you can remove/add
items, make them link to the page you want).

There are many issues with the current state of things, the two most
important I found are:

* waste of resources: several people designing/maintaining/updating
  different NL sites

* difficult for the PPMC to control NL site content (and control
  internal disputes).

With a common set of pages (allowing for customization of these pages,
and also custom pages) I can think of a work-flow similar to:

* marketing people discuss general design and content
* documentation writers write the content
* web developers/designers implement the design
* translators translate the content

The current waste of resources is that all these tasks are currently
done for the main site *and* the (maintained) NL sites. Just to quote
the Spanish site example:

It had so many outdated and Apache-way-dubious content that it was
better to re-"design" the whole site; we took the content from the main
site and adapted it, then translate it. "Adapting" took me a month of
the time I dedicate to AOO in order to set up the "Complete Local
Development" (I first tried the CMS, but was not suitable for the task),
learn how to set it up in my local http server, etc.; in short, an
unpleasant job, as I am not a web designer nor a web developer, and an
awful translator.

Translation was done by the guys at the Spanish mailing lists, and here
again you can see the waste of resources and time in learning how to use
the CMS et. al., while it would have been simpler to have the strings to
translate in the Pootle server.

Concerning the PPMC control, we've all read the tone in the FR
dispute... It's not about freaking-PPMC-control.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina