On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

>>>  One of the problems we will run into, esp for Linux (I don't know about
>>>>

>>> From my point of view this should not be a problem as it seems that the
>>> HTTP server neglects the URL query part in such a "static" case.
>>> I am not an expert here, please correct me if I am wrong.
>>>

>> well, I'll try it again...I have several versions to play with...I seem to
>> recall I had to manually delete the pkgfmt business and then I got it to
>> work.
>>

> I have recently tested on Ubuntu with an old developer snapshot of AOO 3.4.
> It just worked fine, even with an update URL having the query part.

OK...I recall I had to take this off and then it did work with getting me a
URL page.

> When I browse to http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**
> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update?pkgformat=deb<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgformat=deb>using
>  the FireFox it provides me the content of the XML document.
> BTW, I have already updated the XML document as you suggested. As I forgot
> to include an entry for Linux 32bit in my first try you may be hit my first
> XML document.
>

>  I'll get back to you on this later today.
>>

> Ok, thanks.

OK, well since I am at 3.4., I can't help much with this without editing
the XML doc yo have out there I'm afraid, so I will take your word for what
you say works and just hope we can get on with things.

>> I think I will make a discussion thread to totally ditch the pkgfmt
>> business
>> from Linux update URLs. It would considerably simplify our lives.
>>

> Do you mean for future versions of AOO?

yes...this would be best I think. Installing on Linux automatically can be
tricky if you're not root anyway. No harm in just shuttling folks to a page
to choose something and then do the install in my mind.

> This may be possible, because this information could also "coded" into the
> "User-Agent" field of the HTTP GET request.

I don't get your meaning here. Sorry.  ????

OK, the next step, which we should deal with very cautiously given my past
experiment, is to get infra to redirect update36.services.openoffice.org to
the web server IP address.

It would be better if we could just try this with a very limited set of
updates for the time being...maybe just 32 bit Linux German, for example,
and take out the others for a bit and see what happens.

The other thing is since we're still in the midst of the traffic for the
new release, it would be better to wait at least another week. I know
you've been after this for a while, and I completely understand, but well,
results were REALLY disastrous with the update30 re-route -- I kid you not.
Within 2 hours it incapacitated the Apache web server with the bad "post"
calls -- I mean ALL of it -- all sites, and the redirect had to be backed
out. I know we use "get" now and not post, but who would know this?

Maybe infra has like a different server we could use -- with a web server
running on it, but not the main server. I'll try to find out tomorrow on
#asinfra or you could get on there and find out.

> Best regards, Oliver.

you too...

MzK

 Helping you out."