Hi,

On 18.05.2012 22:55, Kay Schenk wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
orwittm...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
[snip]

  This may be possible, because this information could also "coded" into
the
"User-Agent" field of the HTTP GET request.

I don't get your meaning here. Sorry.  ????

The HTTP GET request contains information about the installed version
making the request. The needed package format is currently "coded" as the
URL query part. But, it could be also "coded" in the HTTP "User-Agent"
field.

How would we do that?

The string for the HTTP "User-Agent" field in the HTTP GET request is assembled in the AOO source code.
Thus, we can change it to everything we want ;-)

  OK, the next step, which we should deal with very cautiously given my past
experiment, is to get infra to redirect update36.services.openoffice.**
org<http://update36.services.openoffice.org>  to
the web server IP address.

 From my point of view we only should redirect the update URL of OOo 3.3 -
namely update36..... If it works fine, we can think of redirecting further
update URLs from former versions.

Right--and that was my thought as well. This is why I started out havign
infor redirect update30, which, at it turns out, was a HUGE mistake because
it didn't work the same as the future versions -- it did POST calls instead
of GET.

Thus, I propose to first go for OOo 3.3.
If it is stable we can add OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2 and ... - one after another.

My personal opionion is that such redirects are not needed - but this is
only my view.

well, who knows. We could do it, and potentially, it would do no harm.

  It would be better if we could just try this with a very limited set of
updates for the time being...maybe just 32 bit Linux German, for example,
and take out the others for a bit and see what happens.

The other thing is since we're still in the midst of the traffic for the
new release, it would be better to wait at least another week. I know
you've been after this for a while, and I completely understand, but well,
results were REALLY disastrous with the update30 re-route -- I kid you
not.
Within 2 hours it incapacitated the Apache web server with the bad "post"
calls -- I mean ALL of it -- all sites, and the redirect had to be backed
out. I know we use "get" now and not post, but who would know this?

Yes, we should wait for at least one week to establish the update service
for OOo 3.3. And then only for OOo 3.3

I have a suggestion in the meantime, since I take it we would like some
additional "in house" testing.

You could post a new thread asking for testers who currently still have a
3.3. version (or maybe they have friends that do), tell them they'll need
to do a local redirect -- via local /etc/hosts -- from
update36.services.openoffice.org, to the web server IP, and then have them
do the "Check Update" and see what happens.

I actually tried to convince Windows friends to do this when I was working
on this in early spring, but I just couldn't convince them they actually
had an /etc/hosts and this would do no harm! :/

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Yes, some further tests are needed.
I will make a call, when the current XML document covers more installed
versions.

Best regards, Oliver.

  Maybe infra has like a different server we could use -- with a web server
running on it, but not the main server. I'll try to find out tomorrow on
#asinfra or you could get on there and find out.

That is great that you are getting in contact with ASF infra regarding
this issue. Thx.

yes, I promise I will...but probably not until Monday.

Best regards, Oliver.

OK, thanks for all this.

ps. If you figure out a way to do a generic URL redirect for all platforms
and variants, let us know. This could be VERY helpful.