On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM, drew <d...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > hmm I would say, eventually yes, but if you mean - one giant dev list is
>> > already the decided outcome and so just document it as such, then I'd
>> > say no, not yet.
>> >

>> What part of "What we do currently" was unclear?
>>
>> > I do not think this project is such that one can just say 'the Apache
>> > way' and be done with it - there is about to be a new Apache way me
>> > thinks.
>> >
>> > For instance I wonder how much experience there is in the Apache Way
>> > with a project which will need to look local in certain places around
>> > the world (China, Vietnam, Brasil, Venzuela and Bolivia come to mind
>> > quickly) as without this the local government support goes away and
>> > without that so does the local project - or at least that is my
>> > understanding of the situation in those places. I use that only to say
>> > that IMO this needs some real thought as to how this project is going to
>> > build itself.
>> >

>> If someone wants to create a domestic redistribution of AOO and market
>> it locally, in order to get local government support, then they should
>> do it.  In fact I'd encourage them to do it.  I guarantee that IBM
>> will be making and distributing our own repackaging of AOO.  Why
>> shouldn't others?  Yes, there are basic trademark issues that will
>> need to be observed, but nothing that would prevent someone from
>> marketing AOO outside of the Apache project.
>>
>> For example, SourceForge put up some banner ads to help promote the
>> AOO 3.4 release.  Did they require PMC approval?  No.  Did they need
>> to discuss their plans in detail on ooo-dev?  No.
>>
>> But for the work that is or becomes part of official Apache releases,
>> the work needs to occur here.  The decision making needs to occur
>> here.  The PMC oversight needs to occur here.   Ditto for anyone who
>> claims to speak on behalf of the project, in whatever location or in
>> whatever language.
>>
> Hi Rob
>
> First - I really am slow at times, so please bear with me.
>
> So you are saying I believe that our new project here is not like the
> old, it is not for this project to market the results of the work, that
> is to be left for other organizations - beyond of course promoting the
> project as a way of gathering new contributors.

Not really.  I'm not presuming to say what others should or should not
want to do.  And I'm not going to speculate on what "the project"
wants to do, whatever the heck that means.

Let's not speculate or deal in hypothetical about how some
hypothetical volunteer from Bolivia may or may not want to do for some
hypothetical grant.  We don't need an elaborate apparatus to deal with
such questions that have not actually occurred here.

Instead, let's ask of the here and now:  Is there anything any
volunteer on the project wants to do, that they believe that they
cannot do?  I'd encourage them to speak up, regardless of country or
language.  Let's make a list.

IMHO, I believe there is more misunderstanding or even lack of
knowledge about The Apache Way than there are cases of it not working
for this project.  Remember, we've grown very quickly, and a good
portion of the current volunteers did not go through all the learning
experiences the initial PMC members had last year.

So let's make a list of whatever real current problems we think we
have.  We might be able to deal with those.  But I doubt there will be
much time left over to deal with hypothetical problems.

-Rob