2012/5/18 Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <paulo.s.l...@varekai.org> wrote:
> > 2012/5/18 Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
> >

> <snip>

> But what do you want to do?

I want to upgrade Mediawiki to MW 1.19.x or, if it's not possible, at least
to 1.17.4, and install some useful extensions. This shall not impact any
actual function, but will provide us tools to make AOO wiki a lot more
usable.

> Even if you had admin access you should not make major changes without
> first proposing them on the list and seeing if anyone objected.

Yes, I know that.

> I'd recommend that you start with a proposal for what you want to do.
>  Put it in a new [PROPOSAL] thread on ooo-dev.   Once we've discussed
> the proposal, then we can worry about the access controls.

Like this one?
http://search.gmane.org/?query=%5BPROPOSAL%5D+Wiki+upgrade&group=gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel

> > 2 - There's a lot of people here in Brazil willing to help AOO, but they
> > can't because they can't read/write/speak English. I can count at least
> > three right now, in our (provisory) mailing list at Escritório Livre.
>
> What do the volunteers want to do?
>
> If a volunteer wants to contribute code, they need to understand C++.
> If they want to contribute to the website design then they need to
> understand HTML/CSS.  And so on.  There are basic per-requisite skills
> needed.  And across all of these there is the need to be able to
> read/write English.   I don't see how this can be avoided.  But there
> is no need to be fluent.  In fact, I bet we could work via Google
> Translations, if we were patient.  But if someone is good with C++ or
> with HTML or other technical skills, then I think we can find a way
> for them to contribute, even with minimal English skills.

They can help in spreading AOO, writing articles, helping user support,
lectures, making AOO present in events (soon there will be FISL, and other
large events). All of those things have to be made in Brazil and in
Portuguese. I thought the example we showed yesterday from that guy who
will install AOO in tens of thousands machines for a govenment digital
inclusion project should be enough.

Most of brazilian volunteers have no programming skills, but there are many
other ways they can help. Including some existing ones like UX, wiki, bug
hunting, and so on. Just one example: Miss Fatima Conti is a teacher at
Pará Federal University. She is a respectable figure in Brazilian Open
Source environment. She's more than 70 years old, she's not a programmer,
but many many users read her blog. She used to write articles for our old
BrOffice.org Magazine, but now she's helping to test AOO within her
possibilities. She can do a lot more for AOO, in terms of marketing. But
wait! We have no "marketing" yet. And she doesn't want to join a English
mailing list because she has difficulties with this language. There are a
lot of other examples. Most of people who wish to help are phisicians,
administrators (I am an administrator with some technical skills), lawyers,
teachers, account managers, and so on.

> In other words, we need to be able to communicate together as a
> project -- all of us.   But we don't need to have huge discussion
> threads.  In fact Lazy Consensus and JFDI both encourage getting
> things done over having lengthy discussions about non controversial
> proposals.

Yes, I do think so.

> > 3 - Some of them, even knowing English language, have difficulties to
> reach
> > this list because they feel, let's say, unconfortable in dealing with
> > "famous people" like many of you. =) Apache seems to be a serious place
> > (maybe too serious) for those people. They are affraid to be
> misundestood.
>
> My philosophy with this project was to try to be the first person to
> make every possible mistake.  I looked for things that no was trying,
> and did them, just to show that it could be done.  I didn't care if I
> looked foolish.  I think we need more people willing to take that kind
> of risk.  I think you will find that the project is very "forgiving"
> of English learners.

Again, yes.

> > 4 - Many of us (90% I believe) came from an experience in LibO. There we
> > faced a lot of issues about using brands, names and logos, because there
> is
> > a lot of misunderstanding about who can or can't use them. Allowing
> people
> > not directly involved with the project to use AOO brand/logo within
> certain
> > clear rules could be very usefull and should help people to spread AOO.
> >

> We receive and approve trademark and logo requests all the time.  We
> just need a proposal.  I can't guarantee that every proposal will be
> approved, but at least we have a process for reviewing such proposals:
>  http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html

Ok.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima