On 2012-05-18, at 14:18 , Chery wrote:

> It is free!          Who would buy it from you?

OpenOffice has always been sold on eBay and other similar sites. The advantage
to the buyer is that she does not have to download the app., can have it around
for future reference, may distribute it to those who otherwise cannot get it
(yes, she could burn more and I hope she would), and so on. As well, quite
often CDROMs and DVDs contain so-called value-adds. Could be set of (free)
extensions or it could be templates, utilities, etc. It actually makes a
difference in the minds of many, too, to see the physical object. This is
especially so at conferences, where you want handouts, and elsewhere you just
want people to try it out *now*.

And, lest we not forget the nature of our own circumstances, it actually costs
*more* to download a large binary such as AOO than to buy a CDROM containing it
(in your language, no less)! Yep: in many if not most parts of the world,
bandwidth is costly and charged by the minute or byte or both.

The real point of "free" is the user's ability to work unencumbered with the
binaries and source: to become not just another commodity but a producer in a
community.

-louis