On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

>> [snip]
>>

>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>> solution.
>>
>> Thus, I will do the following:
>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
>> no AOO
>> 3.4 installation package.
>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>> verification.
>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links
>> to a
>> certain existing web page for manual download.
>> - Activate the update service
>> -- move the final XML document to [4].
>> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>>
>> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of
>> next week.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
>> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
>> (operating
>> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to
>> download
>> page, ...) you want to test.
>>
>> [3]
>> http://people.apache.org/~orw/**testupdateservice/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eorw/testupdateservice/>
>> [4] http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
>> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> [5] http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**
>> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>>

> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO
> 3.4 installation package.

Oliver -- wow! -- a big undertaking! I applaud your efforts!

Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our
> AOO 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page
> [7].
> The reasons why I choose to provide a link to web page instead of
> providing direct download links are the following:
> - for platform Linux the "static" solution can not decide which package
> format is requested.
> - Rob and myself are in favor of such a landing page.
> From the OOo 3.3 update functionality the user can directly open this web
> page in the default browser.
> The XML document can be found at [4]. I also put it at [3] as file
> "check.Update".
>
> Please start your testing.
> To test please perform the following steps:
> (step 1) stop your running OOo 3.3 instance inclusive quickstarter.
> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini"
> (Windows) respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [5] by [4] or by "http://people.apache.org/~**orw/testupdateservice/check.
> **Update <http://people.apache.org/%7Eorw/testupdateservice/check.Update>
> ".
> Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".
> (step 4) start your OOo 3.3

from Marcus reply, it looks like the pkgfmt did not cause an issue, so this
is good!

Super work!

I agree with  Roberto's comment. We should unleash a subset of the entries
"in the real world" and see what happens.

> (step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates
> (step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools -
> Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should be
> notified on the right of your menu bar.
>
> Thanks in advance for your test efforts.
>
> Currently, I have no variants of the XML document ready. But, I am
> prepared to create the one or the other corresponding to your feedback.
>
> [6] http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
> ProductUpdateService/index.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/index.html>
> [7] http://www.openoffice.org/**download<http://www.openoffice.org/download>
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain