Hi,

On 22.05.2012 18:21, Kay Schenk wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
orwittm...@googlemail.com>  wrote:

[snip]

I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be
working
next week.
For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this
task?

I don't have any ideas at all in what would be included in such a
script...so no help from me. And, I wonder if something like that was ever
in operation. With no knowledge, I can't say.

I assume that there were some server-side logic, but I am not sure.
This logic would had investigated the HTTP GET request header fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to identify the OOo installation, e.g. German OOo 3.1 running on MacOS X. Then, I assume, it looked into its database for the newest OOo version for such an OOo installation. If it founds a newer version, e.g. German OOo 3.3 for MacOS X it assembles a corresponding XML document containing the data about this newer version. This XML document was then delivered as the HTTP GET response.

Any thoughts/comments/**improvements/changes/...?

It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
solution.

Sounds good. this is reasonable and should work assuming infra can deal
with handling the "pkgfmt" bits for Linux, for example.

If we want to provide a direct download link for OOo 3.3 installation on Linux, this special handling will be needed. If we only want to provide a web page link from which the user have to manually download the needed package, this special handling won't be needed.

Thus, I will do the following:
- Creation of a complete XML document
- Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
no AOO 3.4 installation package.
- Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
verification.
- Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
- Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to
a certain existing web page for manual download.

I don't understand this one. Initiate update vs letting user choose and
then do installation on their own?

The XML document will contain element <inst:update>. Its attribute "src" will contain an URL. Its attribute "type" will determine, if the update function in OOo 3.3 will interpret the URL as an direct download link or as a link to a web page. Depending on the type the update function provides the user the function to trigger the download or to open the URL in the default browser.

Rob and Roberto - as far as I have understand - were in favor of providing a link to a web page. I am completely open here. Thus, I think I will provide different variants of the XML document for testing.

Best regards, Oliver.