On 6/21/12 11:47 AM, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> On 21.06.2012 10:17, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> We have already introduced the Patch by, Review By .. fields for adding
>> further information.
>>
>> How about logs like
>>
>> ####
>> <issuenumber>:<issue subject line>
>
> I agree that the issue subject line is better than nothing, but I prefer
> that the subject line is about why the change was made. See e.g. the six
> different changes for issue 118923. Why would anyone want the same
> change header for each commit when you can have a description instead
> that matches the change much better?

good point and I agree.

That means we use something like

###
<issuenumber> + <1_line_summary/description>

<longer description_on_demand>

<patch_by_on_demand>
###

where

<issuenumber> is

- either the plain <number> + ":"
- or #<number>#
- or #i<number>#

I can live with all but we should agree on one notation. My preference
is the first and then the second. I don't think we need the lower case
'i' anymore.

Older commit messages can be interpreted by knowing the older
conventions and today we have only one bugtracker.

Issues from other bugtracker systems should be ideally duplicated in our
system. The other systems can be public or private bug tracking systems
and issue numbers of the latter ones don't help anybody.

I would like to hear other opinions of people who actually work with our
code.

Juergen