From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.sch...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 15:46
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead
of overwriting it

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 21/07/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> there was a
>> quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
>> seems
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+**Snapshots<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots>
>> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>>

> Correcting myself: the page is online now, but the one above is the URL
> for 3.4 snapshots, not for current snapshots.
>
> The right one is
> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
> Development+Snapshot+Builds<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds>
>
> I've now changed both pages so that:
> - The 3.4 snapshots page redirects the reader to the second page, in case
> he is looking for current builds.
> - The second page explains that development builds can be provided with or
> without system integration (and what this means), and tells the reader if
> the currently available builds are with or without system integration.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Maybe to address floris v's initial concerns -- and in truth this is how we
have been operating for a while, with replacement -- we should just edit
the Development Snapshot page to caution folks to always do a "custom"
install so they can install a different location than the normal default
for their systems, which will always do an overwrite.

Would this work? Even for Windows?

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen