Hi Kay,

Kay Schenk schrieb:
On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>wrote:

On 21/07/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:

there was a
quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
seems
https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+**Snapshots<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots>
is temporarily unavailable at the moment).

Correcting myself: the page is online now, but the one above is the URL
for 3.4 snapshots, not for current snapshots.

The right one is
https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
Development+Snapshot+Builds<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds>

I've now changed both pages so that:
- The 3.4 snapshots page redirects the reader to the second page, in case
he is looking for current builds.
- The second page explains that development builds can be provided with or
without system integration (and what this means), and tells the reader if
the currently available builds are with or without system integration.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Maybe to address floris v's initial concerns -- and in truth this is how we
have been operating for a while, with replacement -- we should just edit
the Development Snapshot page to caution folks to always do a "custom"
install so they can install a different location than the normal default
for their systems, which will always do an overwrite.

Would this work? Even for Windows?

No. Overwriting does not depend on the install location but on the product key (or something similar, I don't know exactly). If it is the same, the previous version is uninstalled even if it is in a different folder. So the build itself must already have the property of parallel installation.

But the second problem is, that you need a way to make the user directory different. You cannot use the same user settings with different versions.

Kind regards
Regina