On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 18:06 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> Rob,
> >>
> >> Please consider the blistering email from Roy T. Fielding, to general@inc
> >> and to infra, on 3/27, 05:50, opposing "released' binaries. IMHO, he will
> >> need to change his mind. OTOH, he is a founder and board member ...
> >>

> > Current IPMC policy, as documented, states otherwise.   ASF practice,
> > both with TLP's and Podlings, is to release binaries where the PMC
> > wishes to do so.  The general discussion has gone far beyond whether
> > or not we release binaries or whether they are official.  We're now
> > discussing how rather than whether these binaries can be signed.
> >
> > Availability of source code is what makes Apache OpenOffice open
> > source.  But the binaries are what make OpenOffice an end user
> > application, something no other Apache project has previously
> > attempted.  So it is not surprising that this is a challenge to
> > long-held practices and habits for some Apache members.  But this is
> > fully in accord with the Apache mission to publish software for the
> > public good.  I'd like to think that open minds can see how binaries
> > can be just as much of a public benefit as source code can be.  If
> > this is not apparent to anyone, I'd recommend a read of this page:
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mission.html
> >
> > So again I would ask that we choose our words more carefully, since
> > they are repeated, out of context, and are ascribed greater authority
> > than we might intend. For example, I read recently on a European
> > Commission websiste that a group of French agencies decided not to use
> > Apache OpenOffice, in part because they were lead to believe that
> > "Apache...doesn’t deliver installable software (binaries)".  This is
> > absolutely false.
>
> Convenience binary artifacts are released for the benefit of users.
>
> At the most basic level when we VOTE we are approving the source release. We
> are stating that we understand the License and Copyright of the source and
> that it is in Policy. This is the standard for the IPMC and an Apache Member.
> It is not a vote that says that the code even works properly it confirms that
> it is valid Apache Release.
>
> We, the PPMC, also VOTE that these binary artifacts are of high quality and
> that they work, but we are relying on others in the project to come up with
> that in aggregate - none of us have every environment - none of us understand
> every language. This is a different standard. We are certifying that the
> source release when built produces these artifacts and that they are useful
> to users.
>
> We can consider how to treat the word "Official" or "Certified" around
> platform builds that may be called "Apache OpenOffice" as opposed to "Powered
> by Apache OpenOffice". This certainly gets into the area of digital
> signatures which is fast becoming a topic for multiple projects at The ASF.
> And yes the quality is about the control of the build.

> [...]

NO

The ASF stands behind the actual binary release as official or not, it
is not a niggling point in my mind. What does that mean - it means that
a binary will be kept available (not just the source), it means that a
security fix is not released if it is in source only, for a package that
has been previously released in binary form, not as a convenience but
has a duty.

//drew