On Aug 15, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> [...]
>>

> The IPMC will be voting for the the release of source and binaries.
> This includes verifying that the LICENSE and NOTICE in the binaries
> are correct.  If you recall we had a delay in our first release due to
> errors in these files in the binaries.  If we were not voting for
> them, and if they were not official, then we would not have needed to
> fix and rebuild before voting.  I've seen the same occur in other
> projects, where the binaries where JAR's..  So even from the IPMC
> perspective there are properties of the binaries that require
> verification and which have policy implication.
>

>> We, the PPMC, also VOTE that these binary artifacts are of high quality and
>> that they work, but we are relying on others in the project to come up with
>> that in aggregate - none of us have every environment - none of us
>> understand every language. This is a different standard. We are certifying
>> that the source release when built produces these artifacts and that they
>> are useful to users.
>>

> In the end a vote means what it says.  If the vote says we are voting
> to release binaries as well as source then we are voting to release
> both.  if anyone feels the wording of the vote violates IPMC or ASF
> policy then they should object.
>

>> We can consider how to treat the word "Official" or "Certified" around
>> platform builds that may be called "Apache OpenOffice" as opposed to
>> "Powered by Apache OpenOffice". This certainly gets into the area of digital
>> signatures which is fast becoming a topic for multiple projects at The ASF.
>> And yes the quality is about the control of the build.
>>

> The only uses of  "official" and "unofficial" in the IPMC's release
> documentation supports the view that our binaries are part of the
> official release.
>
> IPMC and Branding policy does back up the view that downstream builds,
> not built by or voted on by the PMC, and not distributed by Apache,
> are "unofficial".  But that is not what we're dealing with here.
>
>> Does that help?
>>

> I think I understand what you believe, but I don't think what you say
> is an accurate reflection of current IPMC or ASF policy.  It appears
> to me that you are inventing a new category of "unofficial release"
> that has no basis in current documentation.  I'd recommend just
> dropping that term, or working with the IPMC to get consensus on what
> that means and what ramifications that has in terms of policy.  But as
> far as I can see the binaries require the same review, the same vote
> and the same distribution and signing requirements as the source.  So
> inventing artificial categories, unsubstantiated by policy, will only
> further alienate a community that is quite proud of the public good
> brought by the binaries we have released for over 10 years prior to
> Apache and which we have continued to do this this date, and be used
> as FUD by those outside of the project.  I assume that is not your

This has been a good discussion. What I really want to address are three issues:

(1) Clear build instructions that can be mechanically verified that are part of
the source release.

(2) Digitally signing binary artifacts mechanically by infrastructure from
these build instructions. A requirement for apache.org certificates.

(3) An Incubator and/or ASF policy that unambiguously describes what defines an
official binary release.

(4) This might include a way that a third party like FreeBSD might certify a
build as Apache OpenOffice.

But we don't need to do it here for 3.4.1. I'll likely take it up as a future
when the VOTE goes to general@, but my VOTE won't depend on this build, this
time.

Regards,
Dave