On 08/20/2012 04:39 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
Kay Schenk wrote:

So, I think the second column on the porting page should be removed
entirely. I feel winPenPack is a distribution and not a port, and
therefore this would go as well. (I need to look again to see how/why
this was even suggested). I think we would take on an incredible amount
of work if we decided to start listing distribution entities

There are surely many more (say, 100x) people asking for a "portable"
version for Windows (and we have WinPenPack already available, and I hope
PortableApps will join soon) than people asking for a BSD, Solaris or OS/2
port. So I feel that removing portable versions would be a disservice to
users.

Actually I don't know how many other distributions are there, but the only
requests I've seen so far on mailing lists and forums are for portable
versions and, to a smaller extent, for versions compatible with older Linux
glibc versions (and Ariel provided those too, on his personal web space, and
I believe they should be listed on the same page too).

I agree that we should have some mention of other versions or
distributions that are based on AOO code, even if they are not
strictly "ports".  The question is where to mention them?

-Rob

yes, where to mention them. It seems like we go back to maintaining the "external" distributions area.

We can leave the porting page "as is" with winPenPack on it, and just see what happens. But I guarantee that based on comments on comments/questions we've already had over the past year, we will basically be obliged to list every other distributor that also feels they have legitimate distribution.

And, listing winPenPack contradicts what we have on the "distribution" page:

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

so I would feel obliged to change this information. We need to be consistent.

Naturally, I will defer to the majority's will.

Regards,
   Andrea.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                   -- Niels Bohr