On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:

> In due course, when we've all had a little rest after the release of AOO
> 3.4.1, it will be necessary to do some triage work on the Brainstorming, so
> that the most requested changes make their way onto the planning table for
> AOO 4.0.  Many of the suggestions can be amalgamated, for example improved
> doc/docx, xls/xlsx etc support; within reason these can all be amalgamated
> into "improved support for MS Office formats, current and legacy".  Other
> suggestions are readily achievable by existing faciites in OpenOffice; such
> requests might indicate need for better education of Users or more accessible
> documentation/tutorials.
>
> Supposing that the Brainstorm is continued beyond AOO 4.0, should we prune it
> in the light of whatever choices are made for AOO 4.0; should we also
> register comments against some of the already readily achievable functions,
> to give pointers to (say) the Forums and/or tutorials which indicate how to
> do that function?
>
> Could we have some discussion on how best to analyse and progress the current
> nearly 300 suggestions [as of date of posting)

We're getting a lot more feedback than I expected:  305 people have
submitted 284 ideas and cast 3,106 votes.

IMHO, this is wonderful.   In some sense the voting process itself
helps triage, especially if project members are also submitting ideas
and voting, which I hope we all are.

I like your idea of combining closely related or duplicate ideas.
Maybe in the end we could promote a "top 10" list of ideas, in a blog
post, and collect also commentary from project members related to
these top 10 ideas.

Another approach would be to take the top ideas and use them as
additional input to a survey design that Kevin and Graham were looking
into.  We could take the top 10 (or 20) ideas and in the survey ask
users to rate them.

That help us get around the natural bias of Google Moderator, which is
that ideas submitted first will get more votes because they've had
more time to be voted on.