On 09/08/2012 02:15 PM, tj wrote:
On 9/8/2012 13:50, Dave Fisher wrote:

On Sep 7, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

Hi,

I would like to give my thoughts on defining roles for management,
... as the thread "Specific actions needed for developing the
community" tends to become a general one on this topic.

For me we, the AOO community, need to have an idea about the
different roles which need to be fullfilled to drive our project:
- role of developer
- role of forum admin
- role of tester
- role of UX practitioners
- role of release manager
- role of community manager
    internal / project(?)
- role of marketing person
    external / ecosystem(?)
- role of press contact
- role of distribution manager
- role of buildbot admin
- ...

role of translators (l10n)
role of infrastructure

role of moderators for various MLs
role of Mwiki admin (mostly me, now; help welcome)
role of BZ admin (doing a little of that, just added Dave McKay)
/tj/

 From my point of view these are more or less areas of the project
which need to be fullfilled with certain actions and coordination.
What I do not believe is that we need to assign certain individuals
on these roles (*).
I agree with Jürgen that certain individuals will grow their
expertise in a certain role/area and as a contributor will take
action or raise flag due to lack of resources, knowlegde, ...
I think we already had quite a couple of good examples for such a
habit. But, I also have to admit that for certain other roles we did
not yet succeed as we could and should.
And here comes the responsibility of the (P)PMC - its management
duty, if you want. The (P)PMC as a group takes care that the roles
are fullfilled. E.g., by raising a corresponding gap on ooo-dev, by
calling for discussion and volunteers, by leveraging new and/or
established members.
My thoughts are also based on the fact that Apache had only two roles
in a project to by assigned to a certain individual - the PMC chair
and the release manager.

As pointed out above, I think that we need to work out the need and
the working tasks for certain roles in our project. This work out is
from my point of view a community task which could or may be should
be driven by the current PPMC in order to demonstrate our
self-governance.

This is good. I think that there are four parts in no particular
order. We've done a lot of definition already. This is about
reorganizing and formalizing the arrangement. Some of these teams of
role players will be small and some large.

(1) Defining the role so that any volunteer can know how to start
helping.
(2) Defining who on the (P)PMC will have oversight with the charge of
guiding volunteers and identifying committers. This person should be a
player-coach and not a manager.
(3) Defining workflow around these roles. Different sets of roles will
need to work together.

    (A) Developing a Release - developer, tester, ux, buildbot.
    (B) Building / Passing a Release - buildbot, release, community.
    (C) Distributing a Release - distribution, infrastructure,
marketing, press.
    (D) Supporting Users - forum, tester, ux, community, marketing.

(4) What infrastructure the role uses.

I think that this should be documented in the incubator website at
least for overview and navigation about project roles. Each group that
self-organizes around a role should use whatever project resource
makes sense for them.

Regards,
Dave

Best regards, Oliver.

This thread is really tremendous work in my opinion! Both the roles and the workflow groupings!

Documenting it on the incubator website would be most excellent.

(*) except the ones for the PMC chair and the release manager, of
course, as they are part of the Apache Way.

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
 being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
 let the beautiful stuff out."
                         -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"