On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 September 2012 06:15, imacat <ima...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>>     I feel honored to be listed.  I would like to help PMC if there is a
>> chance.
>>
>>     In any case, I suggest at least one female should be included in the
>> PMC, to encourage the contribution of females in the community and bring
>> diverse voices in PMC.  It is very important to encourage more and more
>> female contributors to join the community, and make them feel that
>> OpenOffice is theirs', not of some male geeks.
>
> +1 broad representation is important.

IMHO this is a bad idea and if we go down this route it demonstrates
that we do not understand The Apache Way.

The PMC *is not* representative. The PMC is inclusive of *all that
show merit* for the things that the PMC is responsible for.  To have a
PMC based on representation suggests that members are included for
things other than merit, or that other potential members are excluded
based on representation concerns regardless of their demonstrated
merit.  Both are wrong.

Of course, representation and balance in the project is important, but
we should try to make gains there by encouraging contributors from all
stakeholder groups. And if we are broad and inclusive of all
stakeholder groups then, over time, this will lead to increased
diversity in contributors, and eventually with contributors showing
merit and PMC membership.   So it comes naturally.   But we need to
aim for actual diversity in contributors, not some fake diversity via
handpicked under-weighting and over-weighting of contributor groups
based on factors other than merit.  In other words, diversity is more
than window dressing.

-Rob