On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello;

Yes, I did.  And I've learned from my error.  So in this case I'd seek
lazy consensus first ;-)

> And now that you bring back the issue, I still think the cat-B files have to
> be
> deleted *before* graduation.

Are there some still that you want to delete?  Is anything stopping
you?  Is there a BZ issue for this?

> The Symphony code is not relevant because none of it belongs to a release
> yet. I do tend to agree that the code is only for reference and only IBM can
> merge stuff.

There is some truth to that.  When we agreed to merge the code slowly
rather than rebasing it on Symphony, we turned this into a merge
problem where only a subset of committers have knowledge, from their
previous work, of what the "interesting" parts of the code to merge
are.  This is not a license issue, but just the practical reality of
the who has the knowledge.

The equally practical question we might ask ourselves is whether we
want these engineers merging code into a tree that we'll actually be
releasing, or spending their time updating headers in a tree that we
will not be releasing?  That is the prime reason for suggesting that
we just delete the code if anyone thinks it is a blocking issue.
Obviously the engineers from the Symphony team would still have access
to this code and could continue their merging, piece by piece, all
covered by their iCLA's and the IBM CCLA.

> Pedro.
>
> ps. so far I have been the only one doing merges from AOO to Symphony ;).

That is an odd direction to go, don't you think?