Rachel,
Click the disclosure arrowhead (little triangle thingy) to the left of the word
"Internet". You should then see three choices: Proxy, Search, and E-mail. Click
E-mail
The only thing this choice will allow you to do is to set the e-mail client by
either typing in the entire path, or browsing the file system and selecting it.

If you select "OpenOffice->Preferences..." and your dialog does not behave as
described, it's likely that something's wrong with your AOO installation.