When I started with 3.4 I also  had a problem with spell check. There
didn't seem to be any dictionaries or  synonyms included. As a writer I need
both. When I checked my work, I found that  words that were spelled correctly
had a red underline. What I had to do is build  a spell checker by myself. The
only suggestion I have for you is to go to the  word(s) that have the
underlines and right click. When you do that you will find  (sometimes) a word
or
two that has no semblance to the word that you are looking  for. Below,
almost at the bottom of the list you will find "Add." click on the  add and it
will ask you if you want to put the word into the  dictionary. Say yes and
replace the word with your correctly spelled word.  In this way the word is
then incorporated into your new dictionary. Hope this  has been of help.
Michael Joel Held

In a message dated 10/27/2012 12:17:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hagar.del...@laposte.net writes:

Le  27/10/2012 12:02, Bret Busby a écrit :
> Perhaps, Hagar, on your web  page, you could include something like "When
using Linux, check in your  package manager, by searching in the package
manager, for openoffice, that you  have a dictionary of the appropriate
language, installed" ?

>  That would then provide for idiots like me, who do not first check that
component, that I should have checked before raising the  query.

In fact, AOO as delivered with the official packages  doesn't need such
extra step, it should work out of the box. I don't really  trust the work done
by distros that explode the initial packages in other  sub-packages, that's
why I prefer the standard way through a 100% application  method.

Hagar