On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Sahananda (Jon) Wolfers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> pardon the three steps backwards, two steps forward approach.  A few
> questions:

No problem.  No one except Rick really understands the whole picture.
It is only by asking questions that we can slowly build up the
collective knowledge of the whole picture.

> 1) CoreClasses.orx looks like it is just written in rexx - yet one needs to
> rebuild the interpreter in order to test it.  Does this mean that part of
> the building process is in rexx?  I had assumed that it was all in C or
> C++.

Part of the process is building the rexx.img file.  That file contains
(well I'm a little hazy here, the semantics may not be perfect,) the
definitions of all the builtin classes and functions.  The builtin
classes are defined in Rexx in CoreClasses.orx (and a few other files)
and that is used in creating rexx.img.

The same thing is done for the OleObject class.  The class definition
is done in a Rexx file and then that is also used as part of rexx.img.

The reason you need to rebuild the interpreter is because that
rebuilding will recreate rexx.img with your changes included.

> Sorry if the answer to this question is known to everyone else and
> published on p3 of the reference, it just takes me by surprise and I feel
> the need to know.

You are starting to enter the realm of 'documented in the code.'
There is no page 3 of the reference to cover this.  <grin>

> 2) Mark said I can use 'Microsoft's free compiler.  (The Express edition.)'
> Is this 'The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition'?  Where do I get
> it?  Does it matter if I don't know one end of a brace from the other?

I would get The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition if at all
possible.  It will be easier to help you, I think.  Neither Rick nor I
have moved up to the 2008 version yet.

I'll do a search in a few minutes and then post a link.  You should be
able to get a working interpreter build without knowing one end of a
brace from another.  Although, the end of a brace is '}' and not
really that hard to discern.

> 3) Suppose I do manage to get the compiler running and I build a version of
> ooRexx on my machine, can that version of ooRexx live on the same machine
> with the Vanilla version that I need for supporting my work - or do I need
> to find another machine to do this on?

It can easily live on the same machine provided you take a few steps.
I have always just built the whole package, and then you can use the
regular install / uninstall to switch between versions.  I keep
several versions installed on my system and just switch back and forth
by killing rxapi and renaming directories.  It's very simple, although
I recall that I had problems describing it to you.  <grin>

When you get to this point, we can discuss the alternatives in more detail.