I'm not sure I completely understand your concern here, but the
variable set is in the current method's scope (the method being the
C++ method that's running).  If the method is defined is defined at
the top-level class, for example, then everything is ok.  If this is
in a method defined by a subclass, then it will probably need to call
the attribute assignment method.

Rick