I'm not sure I'd agree that the optimal solution would be to ignore
update-alternatives. update-alternatives is the correct way to have more
than 1 package that provides the same functionality on Linux.

As René indicated installations worked fine with update-alternatives,
and had been working fine. The only problem I had with the package build
was its name, and that was due to CMake issues, where on 1 version of
CMake the package built ok but with the wrong name and the newer version
of CMake didn't even make the package. The problem is CMake (or how to
use it properly), not with update-alternatives.

Cheers, Mark