Hi Mark,

It was not me that asked for this change, I was in the middle of an entirely
different change for the samples when this change intercepted my changes. And I
did not say we should ignore it, I say the better solution is to have a
relocatable installation package like macOS (which is a *nix btw).

I can have 10 different versions of ooRexx installed in parallel and the only
thing to do to „switch“ is to change the path to point to the one I use. I have
had ooRexx installed in ~/Applications and in /Applications at the same time
and none of them disturbs the other. From the package I build for ooRexx it is
possible to „install“ oorexx anywhere with a simple drag&drop. uninstalling is
as easy as dragging to the bin.

I for myself have suffered a lot from this thing earlier on when trying out
ooRexx on different Linux platforms. Using make - make install I ended up not
with rexx but rexx-oorexx as an executable. renaming it manually (is there a
documentation of the switch? how on earth can one know about it?) I ended up
with a broken installation since I was unaware which other items had been
switched. Trying to run the testsuite then aborted halfway throug. In the end I
had to manually remove all traces of the installation by hand following the
manifest file. Since then I learned how to use a rpm or deb package.

Can you point me to a place where I can read about update-alternatives? I had
never heard about it before I stumbled on it here. And I have never been
confronted with it in the 6 Linuxes I am using for testing.

Hälsningar/Regards/Grüsse,
P.O. Jonsson
oor...@jonases.se