Terry,
One issue which came up in this context a long while back was that at
some stage in the development of v5.0, the classic Rexx file input
statements linein, charin 'had a performance hit' (they became much slower
than their ooRexx counterparts).

That problem doesn't appear to have been as yet addressed (I had checked
a few months ago).

I can't say if this issue is a 'showstopper'.

Harmander Singh