From: openafs-info-ad...@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-ad...@openafs.org] On
Behalf Of Lars Schimmer
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 4:43 PM
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Getting started with OpenAFS

Mike Pliskin wrote:
> Dear Lars,

(please, TOFU)

> Thanks a lot for the detailed response, let me see what I can do in terms of
> partitions. Generally the task I am trying to solve is the following:
>  - there is a 100-gigabyte collection of large files (10 mb to 1 gb)

No problem, we have >5 TB of data in OpenAFS which includes files of 20GB so
far. But for files >4GB you need at least a client version >1.4.0.

>  - there are several geographically distributed sites with people that
> need access

Readonly access or read/write access the same data or different directories?
Thats a important point as only one read/write copy of a volume/directory can
exist in one OpenAFS cell.

>  - files are organized in folders, and there is a fairly good
> administrative separation on who needs which files - i.e. chances of
> people writing the same file at once are pretty low

You can set ACLs on directories in OpenAFS - fairly simple and works.

>  - speed is important as well as a way to access any file from
> anywhere (but ok to degrade speed if replicas aren't synced yet)

Readonly replica could be done via night and clients can access a local
readonly replica for faster access (if a local fileserver exists).
The client cache could do a difference, to. Needs to be big enough (for bigger
files) and persistant over reboots. If a file could be served out of client
local cache and not from (slow) server overseas fine.

> So the question is - do you think OpenAFS is a right tool for this problem?

So far yes. BUT the read/write and readonly point is still open.
You could setup one volume per directory and mount that directories after the
rules of rw access into the filetree.
But if you have e.g. a /afs/test/useraa/files/ firectory for user aa on a
fileserver in dk and a user bb in the US needs to write to that directory, it
needs to access that fileserver the rw volume is on.
If user bb in the us need only to access a readonly copy of that directory,
copy that volume/directory to the us fileserver (over night) and the user bb
could access it readonly from the us local fileserver.

Hope it is made clear now why it needs some think-over with a multi-homing
site. But it is absolute possible and could work great.

> Thanks,
>   Mike

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
- --
TU Graz, Institut für ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schim...@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723