On 17 Jun 2010, at 19:45, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
> Its fine to not have it enabled by default, but I can't see why one would
> remove the functionality from the source tree.

Because every different configuration option you have doubles the complexity of
testing the code. What actually tends to happen is that stuff that isn't
enabled by default never actually gets tested when changes are made, and so
ends up rotting. So, these options are dangerous both because we _know_ they
can cause data loss now and that's only going to get worse in the future
because nobody developing for the fileserver actually tests with them enabled.

We have very limited developer effort available. Reducing the breadth of our
code significantly improves our ability to add the new features that everyone
says they want.

My original proposal for both fast-restart and bitmap-later was that we should
remove the configuration options but retain the code for one release cycle and
then remove the code entirely in the next cycle. That hopefully prevents folk
from running them thinking that they're in any way supported, but still allows
those brave enough to do so some time to move over to demand attach.

Cheers,

Simon.